Why buy from Thumbsie®?
Maybe you have decided that a thumb or finger guard is the way forward and you have researched the options. If you have chosen to buy a fabric guard you might be asking “why buy from Thumbsie®?”
We want children to succeed. We want it to be as fun as possible for them. Thumbsie® is dedicated to helping children to stop thumb and finger sucking. We don’t do anything else!
When I started making fabric thumb guards there were no other options in the UK and I wanted to design a product with the child in mind. I wanted them to be comfy to wear, fun and above all something that the child would want to wear. I believe that this is the first step to stopping the habit. The feedback that I have had since starting out tells me that I have achieved this.
I have ensured that the fabric thumb and finger guards are comfy to wear and have taken feedback from parents’ on board adapting the design over the past six years:
- Thumbsie® thumb and finger guards do not cover too much of the actual hand making everyday activities possible.
- There are five different sizes ensuring a good fit, we offer a bespoke service too if your child needs a larger size.
- Thought has been given to the length of the seam between the thumb and finger to try and ensure that it comes down far enough that the child shouldn’t be able to slip it off but not too far down that it cuts in and is uncomfortable.
- The way the Velcro® is sewn ensures that it won’t get caught on other fabrics and other items of clothing.
- Time is spent researching and looking for the right fabrics. Its great to hear that children (even older children) think the designs are “cool” enough for school or that they are their favorite animal.
- We use cotton so that they still look great after being washed. We try to chose darker fabrics too so that they don’t have to be washed as often.
It takes time to make as each fabric guard as they are sewn, turned inside out, ironed, sewn, Velcro® added and the web seam sewn. All of this is done to make them as comfortable as possible for the child but does mean they can’t be rushed.
Reward charts are offered to encourage children to stop thumb and finger sucking, we have also written a book Thumbs Up For Ted’s Thumbsie. This is about a little boy who wants to stop thumb sucking before he starts school so that he can join in all the fun activities, written by one of my closest friends its available to accompany your Thumbsies® and to read to your child.
Once children have given up sucking there’s a success certificate that is happily given free of charge to say “well done”.
I feel very passionate about helping children in a kind and positive way and really appreciate when I hear from happy parents that I have helped their child stop thumb sucking. It’s lovely to know that I have helped, one mum wrote: “you given my child her voice back”.
Thumbsies® has helped many children to stop thumb and finger sucking in a positive way.
Thumbsie Ltd has reached the finals in several National Awards, which makes us all very proud and helps spread the word so that other families can help their children.
Thanks for reading – Jo Bates, owner Thumbsie Ltd